Date:      Fri, 4 Jul 1997 09:40:53 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   booting a Linux partition

Hhmm, yesterday I went into comp.os.linux.misc and asked the
following question:

 ----
>From: Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
>Date: 03 July 1997 17:37
>Subject: cannot boot Linux partition
>
>I installed a S.u.s.e. Linux 4.2 (2.0 kernel). Old hat, maybe,
>but I just had this package lying around and needed a linux system.
>
>The system is a 486DX2/66 ISA 16MB, IDE controller, 3.2 GB IBM IDE
>disk master, ATAPI CDRIOM as slave.SVGA, smc 8216.
>
>Partitions are:
>
>DOS/Win95
>FreeBSD
>Linux   hda3   /
>        hda5   swap
>        hda6   /var
>        hda7   /usr
>        hda8   /home
>
>hda4 is an extended partition which carries hda5-8. This I did from
>my understanding of the 4 partition limit.
>Booteasy or OS-BS (I tried both) can boot DOS/Win95 and FreeBSD fine
>but not the linux partition. :-(
>
>The other two Os's boot fine. I suspect I missed to install
>Lilo on the hd partition during install but I see no way to do this
>guided by some Suse tool or YaST because the latter always
>wants me to start over again with install.
>
>I can run ram based linux via DOS->Setup and mount /dev/hda3 fine.
>I can see that there is a /vmlinuz and an installed system on that disk.
>
>ANy clues?
>
>--
>Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

And the only answer I got so far, was:

    "You might have got an answer here on comp.os.linux.misc, but if not, try
     the freeBSD group.
     At one time, I had GPF95, Linux and BSD switchable using the BSD
     bootloader, which seemed nicer than Lilo.
     Hope this helps"

Anyone with experience in both, FreeBSD and Linucks out there who could
help me on this?