Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2001 20:21:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mario Doria <mariodoria@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Migrating to RAID-1 with vinum

Hello

I'm planning on migrating a server to a RAID-1 configuration. The server is an
Dell Poweredge 2400 with two 9.2 GB SCSI disks. The disks I'm planning to
install are two 36 GB SCSI disks. I want to mirror one of the other and do the
same with the 36 GB SCSI drive; so in case of failure, the whole storage space
of the server is mirrored.

My question is: how do I migrate the existing 9.2 GB disks into using vinum in
RAID-1?. I'm going to erase everything on the second 9.2 disk and  will be left
with one empty 9.2 disk and another with all my data.

Here is my current df output, I ommited my second hard drive as this is the one
which is going to be erased:
Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da0s2a   282M    24M   235M     9%    /
/dev/da0s2g   4.2G   2.8G   1.1G    73%    /home
/dev/da0s2f   2.8G   610M   2.0G    23%    /usr
/dev/da0s2e   160M   9.9M   137M     7%    /var

Thanks for your help,

Mario Doria
procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%    /proc