Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 01:54:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        Karl Denninger <karl@mcs.net>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: URGENT: Packet sniffer found on my system

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Don Lewis wrote:

> One very old trick is to plant something in root's crontab.

    Checked that already, plus all the files called by /etc/crontab
and /var/cron/tabs/root.  That would still mean the attacker had root
access in the first place.  The sniffing sessions seem to have been
started manually though (the last one fired up literally as I watched
the output of 'top' and 'fstat' and other utilities, coinciding with a
login event by the owner of the sniffer binary).

> A trojan could have been planted in any of the binaries that root executes.
> As soon as root runs the program, it spawns a copy of the sniffer or open
> some other hole.  You should do a comparsion of all the executables vs.
> those in a fresh copy of the distribution.

    One of these days I'm going to set up cops or tripwire to do this
for me on a regular basis.  Heck, maybe even mtree, since it seems
like it can do that sort of stuff...

> Even the kernel could have been hacked to make it easy to get root access,
> though it would probably be less obvious to give bpf access to a non-root
> sniffer.

    I don't think we're dealing with someone that sophisticated yet.
They would have had to patch a running kernel, since there hasn't been
any recent reboots.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Senior Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.