Date:      Wed, 20 May 2009 20:54:21 +1000
From:      freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Xorg manual configuration

I haven't got any response to Xorg in a jail, so I'll try and wing it... Th=
at said, I do need some help trying to figure out how to:

1. Determine exactly what Xorg is probing for (what details it needs, etc).=
 So far I think I need memory address ranges, chipsets, etc. Found a lot of=
 stuff in the log, but I'm not sure if its enough or all I need.

2. Then take the details and set them out in the Xorg.conf. (VideoAdaptor S=
ection?)

What I'm finding really annoying is why the manual configuration systems ar=
e completely unavailable as of now. I remember my first crack at getting X =
running on a 4.3 system, and having to go through screens of configurations=
 for the monitor, card, inputs, etc. Ok, its cool now that we don't need to=
 do this anymore, but it does kill things if you're trying this in a system=
 which is restrictive.

>From all the info I gathered so far /dev/io is used for the probing. IF the=
 details are entered manually, then surely this would mean it doesn't need =
io. I'm still not sure what to do about /dev/mem and /dev/kmem.

This is just an experiment- please do humour me and let me have my fun tryi=
ng to bang my head even against the brick wall- who knows? Maybe I'll get s=
omewhere... :)

---- Msg sent via @Mail - http://atmail.com/