Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 10:12:06 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a chicken-egg problem with bootp and nfs_mountroot

Howdy,

A couple weeks ago I did some rather gross hacks locally here to get
around some similar problems.. I wanted a MFS root with NFS swap,
via boot rom.  I ended up calling nfs_moutroot() from
mfs_mountroot() or something like that, all buggered up with an
MFS_NETBOOT option... Pretty hackish,  but it works and I haven't
gotten a chance to clean it up yet :(

Is that of any interest?  Do you have any ideas on a cleaner way
to accomplish this... Or is this irrelevant to your question? ;-)

Thanks,
Eric

Luigi Rizzo writes:
>Hi,
>
>i think we have a chicken-egg problem with bootpc_init.
>
>the code in autoconf decides what to mount as root depending on various
>things including nfs_diskless_valid
>
>nfs_diskless_valid is set to non-zero value by either the boot rom,
>or by bootpc_init() (or by a config option BOOTP_NFSROOT, but that's
>very annoying).
>
>Unfortunately bootpc_init() is only called by nfs_mountroot(), which is a
>bit too late since the decision has already been taken not to call
>nfs_mountroot() !
>
>Could we move the call to bootpc_init() earlier, e.g. in configure()
>(file autoconf.c) ?
>
>the function is passed a pointer to the nfs_diskless structure, and one
>which is curproc ...
>
>Any idea before i just test this ?
>
>	cheers
>	luigi