Date:      Fri, 28 Oct 2011 20:12:20 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Subject:   Re: Fast personal printing _without_ CUPS

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 00:53:44 -0600 (MDT), Warren Block wrote:
> A better example would be a web browser or word processor.  The program
> stops responding to further input until the printer has received the
> entire print job.  This bothered people enough that they came up with
> lpd/lpr, which is part of the base FreeBSD system and works well.  It's
> been around long enough for problems to have been worked out.

Furthermore, this system's mechanism allows the
use of "user plugins", i. e. custom printer filters
that talk to the device directly. This means that
as soon as the printer spooler has received the
data from the application program, any delays just
happen to the processing and transmitting job (to
the printer), not to the originating program.

For example, I've written a simple "search & replace
filter" to send data directly to the parallel port
where a daisywheel printer is attached. It's easy
to combine this with the system's tools lpr / lpd /
lpq / lprm, in combination with the /etc/printcap file
and a shell script.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany