Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 20:43:06 +0100
From:      "Oliver Blasnik" <ob@omnilink.net>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Libman" <jeffrl@wantabe.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mountd and rpc.statd won't run

Hi Jeff,

> a number of virtual web sites and ip's aliased to lo0 to it, and now
> rpc.statd and mountd will not run.

I've had a similar problem last week ...

> i don't know if the failure is related to the ip changes.
>         mountd[pidno]: can't register mount

Check out ifconfig for lo0. Is localhost 127.0.0.1 bound to it?

No? Then: edit rc.conf, change:
    network_interfaces="ed0 lo0" (or whatever card you have).

If this doesn't help, go the hard way an add
    ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0"
as a primary adress.

I did both to get shure and rebooted. Did work very well after that.

> cheers,
> jeff

Cu, Oliver