Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2000 13:13:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@aracnet.com>, Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Expected SCSI speed question

> > > I have a 200 MHz K6 system (FBSD 3.2), Adaptec 2940UW SCSI-adaptor and Seagate
> > > ST19171W Hard disk. The Seagate (Barracuda 9) disk is specced to up to 40
> > > Mbytes/sec Max sync. SCSI transfer rate. But whatever tests I run (copying
> > > large files to and fro, dd from disk to /dev/null for example) the actual speed
> > > is never more than around 0.5 MB/s according to 'systat -io 1' or 'systat -vm
> > > 1'.
> > > Is there a knob to turn to speed it up or is this a bottleneck due to the
> > > processor?

<snip parts of responses>

I'm just tuning into the thread, so please forgive me if this has been
asked, but has it been verified at boot up (thru dmesg) that the drives
are even negotiating the appropriate speed connection?  Last drive I had
that was "slow" gave the techies some kinda hint at what was wrong due to
the fact taht it couldn't negotiate at boot up.  I can't recall what it
was off hand though.  Also, are the appropriate speeds set in the SCSI
Bios too?  Again, I apologize if those q's have already been asked...

---John