Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 15:25:21 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
Cc:        Samy Touati <lmcsato@lmc.ericsson.se>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMC 9332BDT Help me please...

[I hope anyone answering is wiser than me and deletes either -hackers or
-questions from the cc: list]

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Nadav Eiron wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Samy Touati wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >

> > In the rel notes of 2.2.2 it's clear that the SMC9332 BDT should work.
> > I installed one and it dies as soon as it gets probed by the kernel at
> > boot time.
> > The chipset 21140A is identified with pass 2.0 and it tries to enable the
> > 100TX port.
>
> The newer versions of the 21140A chipset are not supported by the current
> driver. However, a replacement (beta quality) driver is available at:
>
> http://www.3am-software.com
>
> Most people report it to work fine with the newer cards. Also look in the
> hackers list archives for discussions of newer de drivers.

Why are you calling it beta quality? It is at least as good as the old
driver (zero problems with both around here). As for replacement - FreeBSD
de driver hasn't just been resyncronised yet with the independent,
multiplatform, etc. de driver. And so it lacks some features.

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.

[snip]