Date:      Wed, 04 Aug 1999 14:26:34 +0300
From:      "Andy V. Oleynik" <andyo@prime.net.ua>
To:        Dan Lazin <dan@alphamale.ab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail no longer relaying, now giving me 'Host unknown' error

It's difficult to say what is the problem. I recommend U
to force sendmail on ur relay-server to just queue the mail.
Then send mail from ur home (it will be queued). Then
run sendmail -q -v -t to process queue and see what's
going on. Or try to telnet from ur home/relay PC to
geocities port 25 and walk through SMTP session and
again see what's going on. U may send the results here
to let guys analize them for U. I think ur sendmail's  m4
macro file would be helpfull too.
Dan Lazin wrote:

> I added a domain to my sendmail.cw file yesterday, and SIGHUPed the daemon
> to restart it. As of that moment, it (my mail server) stopped relaying mail
> from my home machine. I have a dynamically-addressed ADSL connection at
> home, but my hostname always comes out matching *.hs.telusplanet.net. The
> relay-domains file simply reads "hs.telusplanet.net", and that worked
> before. I've tried just telusplanet.net, and that doesn't work, either. I
> just get the standard '550: Relaying denied' message. The sendmail
> documentation says that I'm doing everything correctly.
>
> And another bad thing has started happening: my aliases no longer work. I
> have an old geocities account for which I've created an alias for testing
> purposes; neither it, nor any other external alias, works anymore. He's the
> message I get:

> bootymasta@geocities.com
>     (expanded from: <booty@hardcore.ab.ca>)

> 550 bootymasta@geocities.com... Host unknown (Name server:
> mail2b.geo.yahoo.com.: host not found)
>
> (hardcore.ab.ca is a domain name pointing to my machine, and no, it's not
> porn)
> And yet nslookup says that mail2b.geo.yahoo.com exists. What gives? I'm not
> running named, though I was at one time. I've commented bind out of my
> host.conf file and removed it from rc.conf; are there any secret relics that
> would make sendmail query my nonexistant nameserver? I'm running the
> standard .cf file.
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Dan Lazin

WBW  Andy V. Oleynik            (When U work in virtual office
prime.net.ua's                   U have good chance to obtain
system administrator             virtual money ö%-)
+380442448363