Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 2008 22:25:48 +0200
From:      Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>
To:        eculp <eculp@encontacto.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re: wine and MS InternetExplorer

On 12/23/-58 20:59, eculp wrote:
> Quoting Adrian Penisoara <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 3:46 AM, eculp <eculp@encontacto.net> wrote:
>>> Is there any way to get MS Internet explorer to work under wine.  The
>>> government here has some forms that require it and won't work with
>>> firefox
>>> or opera.  The part that bothers me even more is that they seem to be
>>> microsoft java apps.
>>>
>>> I see there is an iexplorer in the distribution and I added gecko
>>> support
>>> but still couldn't get more that a transparent box.
>>
>>  There is the IEs4Linux project which theoretically could be used also
>> on FreeBSD -- see the link below, follow the installation instructions
>> and let us know what results you get.
>>
>>     http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/
>>
>>   Apparently there is no FreeBSD port for this at this time, but if it
>> works for you then I guess it would make a really good candidate
>> (especially for enterprise/office environments)
>
> Thanks, Adrian.  I took a look at it yesterday but didn't have time to
> install it.  I'm downloading it now. It will be interesting to see if it
> is complete enough to work with the government's windows centric forms.
> I will post results to the list asap
>
> Thanks again,
>
> ed
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrian.

ed,

I'm running IE6 under wine for quite some time now. IIRC I've installed
IE manually. Tried IES4Linux before and found it too difficult to patch
as it's too Linux'ish (heavily Linux specific bash install scripts needs
_a lot_ of tweaking).

You may find instructions for installation on the net. Make sure, you're
using latest wine and set the environment to Win98 for IE. Running such
a crappy tool (IE) under FreeBSD seems to be braindead, but there are
situations where there's no other way. BTW, check licensing issues first.

HTH

Volker