Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 16:40:28 -0400
From:      "Generic Player" <generic@unitedtamers.com>
To:        "Mark Ovens" <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IE for FreeBSD Petition

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Ovens" <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To: "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc: "Bill A. K." <billieakay@yahoo.com>; <questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2000 3:44 PM

> On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 09:36:03AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > [Format recovered--see http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html]
> >
> > On Sunday, 21 May 2000 at 15:50:14 -0400, Bill A. K. wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >      I've had this petition up for a while, and I'm trying to get more
traffic and names. I'm trying to get something to convince Microsoft to port
Internet Explorer for UNIX to FreeBSD.
> > > The URL for my site is http://www.iefreebsd.freeservers.com
> > > If you would be interested in a small banner, etc. for your own web
site, please let me know, and I'll see what I can do.

> > I think this is a very bad idea.  Look at your mail message for one
> > good reason why: Microsoft software is just plain broken.  You
> > probably don't even realise that your message was written without line
> > breaks.  Isn't it much easier to read like this?
> >

> Yes :) (mutt + emacs) > IE
>
> Does no one remember that this same poster posted the same appeal on
> 5/9/99 under the thread "IE for FreeBSD"

(http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/1999/freebsd-questions/19990912.freebs
d-questions.html).
> I've looked back through that thread and it was generally put down as
> being a Bad Idea.
>
> I've also looked at the poster's petition site and, apart from the
> post you (Greg) added today, mine seems to be the only dissenting
> voice (posted at the time of the original thread). Guess only those
> who are in favour take the time to contribute to petitions.
>

> > > I've had this petition up for a while, and I'm trying to get more
> > > traffic and names. I'm trying to get something to convince Microsoft
> > > to port Internet Explorer for UNIX to FreeBSD.  The URL for my site
> > > is http://www.iefreebsd.freeservers.com If you would be interested
> > > in a small banner, etc. for your own web site, please let me know,
> > > and I'll see what I can do.
> >
> > In the FreeBSD project, we're trying to get away from Microsoft, not
> > come closer to it.  If there were a counter-petition to ask Microsoft
> > *not* to port IE, I would sign it.
> >
> > Greg
> > --
> > When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
> > For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
> > Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key
> > See complete headers for address and phone numbers

> --
>         ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX

And here I thought the "M$ sux d00d" attitude was for linuxheads posting on
/.
Its pretty sad if you use FreeBSD just to get away from MS, you should use
it for its own merits, not because it isn't something else.  Sounds like a
pretty childish attitude to me.  Why would it hurt to have IE for BSD?
Netscape is a piece of crap, and it doesn't look like they have any
intentions of fixing it.  It'd be nice to have a fully functional browser
for BSD, regardless of who makes it.

Generic Player