Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 19:50:48 +0200
From:      Stefan KORONKA <KoronkaS@interscope.ro>
To:        'Zaid Dashti' <zaid500@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Notebook

[please keep the cc to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, so that
others can see all the messages]

> There is no error messages, and my HDD is 18 GB. I maked a
> partition for
> FreeBSD it's 3GB. 270MB swap partition and other for freebsd
> partition. but
> when i press F3 to boot the FreeBSD it doesn't work only F1
> for Windows.

assuming that you used the last 3GB for FreeBSD, that means that
you are over the 1024cyl limit.  I think that current version of
bootloader cannot boot over the 1024 cylinder (this going to
change in 5.0 ?!).  This is a common problem for all OSes - a
limitation of the BIOS.

The solution is to make the root partition under the 1024 limit
(in the first 8GB, i think).

Stefan

PS:  you don't have to make a separate partition for swap; see the
handbook and/or other docs about how partitions/slices/labels are
organized.  Or just let the FreeBSD do the default in the
installation process - see the "a - Auto default for all" option
during disk partitioning.