Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 22:47:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@current1.whistle.com>
To:        David Greenman <dg@Root.COM>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Giant Sized Ethernet Packets

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, David Greenman wrote:

> >I was wondering if it is possible to send giant sized ethernet packets (>1500
> >bytes say 1550) using the current 'de' driver for the SMC 10/100 DEC 21140
> >cards.
>
>    No.
Bzzzzt!
Sorry, but thanks for playing..
don't forget to collect your tie-pin on the way out..
The chip it trivially programeed to do this.. we do it all teh time with

15500 byte packets.. (10 x normal)

It's to support legacy systems that date from the dawn of ethernet when
the
packet size was not so 'fixed' as it is now..