Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 1996 13:29:47 -0800
From:      Tim Baird <tim@print.gfmurray.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ridiculously long dial string

At 12:58 PM 11/22/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I can connect to the network at work via user ppp. This is a toll call, so I
>got a Corporate Telephone credit card. To use it I must:
>1. Enter 800xxxxxxx to access some phone network
>2. wait for the dial tone
>3. Enter 0XXXXXXXXXXX to get to the number I really want
>4. Wait a little bit
>5. Enter the credit card number and pin.
>
>I can't figure out how to do this. My first attempt was to put it in the dial
>string but the number was too long and the timing became incorrect.

- When you say "the timing became incorrect", what do you mean exactly?

- Normally, the modem register settings and commas (,) in the dial string
control the timing...

- When the dial command is given, the modem is NOT going to tell you
anything except an error message or
a CONNECT/SPEED/PROTOCOL message if it connects and negotiates successfully
with a modem on the other end.  Therefore, the timing of the various DTMF
signals is NOT scriptable in the sense that you can wait for certain
Reconsider the second comment, and apply that knowlege to your
situation...if you have further details (modem type, register settings etc.)
please post them....

>I read about "chat", if that is my solution, I don't understand how to
>implement it.

Tim Baird

Dominus Fecit
"The Lord Made"

Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer etc. etc