Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:52:28 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <mij@soupnazi.org>
To:        Christopher Hall <hsw@acm.org>
Cc:        mmartinelli@bigfoot.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mozilla + java

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 at 09:24:47 +0800, Christopher Hall wrote:
> I tried for two days to do this, but could not make it work.
>
> It occurred to me that it is not possible for a FreeBSD native Mozilla
> to link with a Linux libjava library, and the only solution would be
> to use a Linux version of Mozilla.  Several Internet searches later I
> saw many requests for help to get Mozilla+Java to work together, but
> only one answer that said he got the Linux version to run.  There were
> no details in the reply and I did not see a subsequent reply giving
> any.
>
> Unfortunately the latest Linux Mozilla requires libraries from a later
> version of RedHat than those present in the linux_base-6.1 port.

What makes you say that?  I'm using a Mozilla nightly (linux binary)
from 8/26 with the linux_base port and it works fine.

If you go to a site that uses java and Mozilla pops up the "plugin
required" window, you can click the button to be whisked off to a site
where you can download the java2 plugin.  This is all well and good
until you actually hit a site with java and your machine locks up solid
and java_vm continually coredumps, eventually leaving a 131MB core file
until the ctrl-alt-del actually kicks in and the machine reboots... :-)

- jim

--
jim mock <mij@soupnazi.org>              tech writer | iXsystems, Inc.
http://soupnazi.org/         work: jim@ixsystems.net | jim@FreeBSD.org