Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 09:48:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        regnauld@tetard.frmug.fr.net (Philippe Regnauld)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: Dual Monitor Systems...

Philippe Regnauld writes:

> Greg Lehey écrit / writes:
>>
>> J Wunsch writes:
>
>> You've obviously never burnt out a monitor :-(
>>
>> Running monitors out of spec *does* damage monitors.  It may not do
>
> 	That is also  what I thought  -- out-of-sync ranges  (even too low)
> 	while not putting any stress on the sync circuits, can strain OTHER
> 	components behind it,   as they  try  to  pickup a  correct  signal
> 	(i.e. horiz  et  vert sweep), thus making   them work  ABOVE  their
> 	specs.

It's the transformer too.  From its point of view, the load is only
dependent on the deviation from the tuned frequency, not the direction.

> 	Regarding   XInside and two  monitors, could  you  give more info ?
> 	(What displays - VGA/VGA?, how does syscons/pcvt behave?)

See http://www.xinside.com. for the real lowdown (well, an
approximation :-) I've been trying to get a pair of Hercules Graphite
Terminator (does that sound like a display board or a new type of SCSI
bus terminator?)  boards working with BSD/OS 2.0, but though I am told
they will work, I just get *really* nasty crashes.  I'm waiting for
2.1 now.  The mix is very dependent on who you ask.  In the
documentation it says that this combination won't work, and they
recommend the Maxtrox Millenium, but unfortunately they're not
available.  I contacted the author of the software, Thomas Röll, and
he says it will work.

Greg