Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 1997 06:50:25 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu>
Cc:        FreeBsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape 3.02 setup

Michael Alwan:
 |XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
 |XAPPLRESDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11
 |XNLSPATH=/usr/share/nls/
 |
 |The files are in the places that the Netscape README says to put them; the
 |paths are typed just as the README says to do (e.g. forward slash after
 |"nls").  Obviously, I've put these statements in the wrong place.  Where do
 |they go?  It might help to know I start up X from root with xdm, use the
 |XF86_S3 server, and once I've got the server running, use the xterm to
 |start Netscape.

Well, I don't use xdm -- I log in and my user profiles run startx so this
might change where these can be placed and picked up.  I would guess that
putting them in ~/.xinitrc or the global default xinitrc would probably
work for both schemes but I don't know enough about how xdm transfers
control.

For the log-in-and-startx method, if your root user is running csh/tcsh,
put them in /etc/csh.cshrc:

     setenv XKEYSYMDB /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
     setenv XAPPLRESDIR /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
     setenv XNLSPATH /usr/share/nls/

or if your root user is running sh/ksh, put them in /etc/profile:

     XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
     XAPPLRESDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11
     XNLSPATH=/usr/share/nls/
     export XKEYSYMDB XAPPLRESDIR XNLSPATH