Date:      Sun, 13 Dec 1998 10:19:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quake 2 Linux with VooDoo 2

> I am still using regular old doom 1 on my FreeBSD box...
>
> Where did you get Quake2 for Linux from?

You can get Quake2 Linux from ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/quake2/official/old

you first have to get the 3.13 full release, then the 3.19 libc5 release.
It is also a good idea to have the quake 2 CD because it won't run w/o it.

> I saw a whole bunch of quake stuff in
> ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/games/quake.. Is that quake2 of quake?
>
> Does this version absolutely require glide?

It requires glide, LibMesa for Linux, and a 3dfx graphics card that is
supported by libglide2.4 for Linux. As of yet, I don't think VooDoo 2 is
supported by libglide2.4. If you don't have a supported 3dfx card, you
have to use the X-Windows version.

Kenneth Culver