Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 20:01:00 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow restores on a DLT4000

Greg Lehey (grog@FreeBSD.org) wrote:

> On Monday, 19 November 2001 at 15:07:13 -0600, Christopher Farley wrote:
> > I am a new owner of a pair of DLT4000 drives. I've been testing them
> > using dump and restore.
> >
> > I get fairly good throughput on dumps; about 1.6 megs/second, which
> > seems similar to 'average' expectations that have been published.
> > During a dump, the drive does not stream, but runs, stops, rewinds,
> > runs, stops, rewinds... My thinking is that the tape drive is able to
> > write to a tape faster than my platters can provide the bits.
>
> Hmm.  I have one of these drives too, and I see data rates of up to 3
> MB/s.  Are you using compression?

The drive's hardware compression is enabled. My drives are not
SCSI, but IDE drives on an ATA/100 bus. With DAT, it's been my
experience that hardware compression speeds things up significantly.
I have not yet tried benchmarking my DLT4000 with hw compression
off, but I plan to.

> > Restoring data off a level 0 dump takes about twice as long as the dump
> > itself, and it also fails to stream.
>
> This is almost certainly due to the metadata updates.  Soft updates
> will help, but basically the disk is becoming the bottleneck.

Oh yeah, soft updates are not enabled, but I plan to fix that soon.
And a `restore -N` (with no disk writes -- don't know about metadata
updates) takes just as long as a regular restore.

> > Also, it takes just as long to retrieve a few files off of a dump as
> > it does to restore an entire dump.
>
> Well, I suspect it seems that way.  In fact, it should be able to
> stream up to where it finds the files, so it should be a little
> faster.

Throughout the restore it reads the tape, stops, rewinds, starts
up again... It reads for maybe 5-6 seconds max. This occurs on both
of my DLT4000s. It takes about 4 hours to get one file off the end
of a 20 Gig level 0 dump.

> > It seems like the drive simply reads the tape sequentially, and if
> > it sees a file I've marked, it writes it to the disk. Consequently,
> > if the file is at the end of the tape, it will take 4 hours to find
> > the file on a 20 Gig dump.
>
> Yes, that's correct.  The obvious choice here is to make several
> smaller dumps and then search to the beginning of the dump, which is
> much faster (a minute or two maximum).

I've been doing my dump/restores off of a very large filesystem, and I
plan to reconfigure my setup to make smaller slices. Forutnately, I've
got a nice tape drive to help me do this...

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com