Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:12:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        George Shapiro <gshapiro@pps.k12.or.us>
Cc:        krinsky+freebsd@bantha.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jonc@pinnacle.co.nz
Subject:   Re: how to set up routing & natd with freebsd 3.1

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, George Shapiro wrote:

> >>On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 03:17:12PM -0700, George Shapiro
> >>(gshapiro@pps.k12.or.us) wrote:
> >> Here are some more clues...  I am actually just trying to route off a group
> >> of computers on a LAN which has a dedicated gateway (a public high school).
> >>  Since there are only a small number of machines in my (hopefull) subnet, i
> >> am doing static routing... i.e.
> >>
> >Are both interfaces properly ifconfigged?
> >
> >My machine has two interfaces, one of which goes to the outside world
> >and the other of which goes to a small private network.  The following
> >is an excerpt from my /etc/rc.conf:
> >
> >ifconfig_fxp0="inet 208.241.154.117  netmask 255.255.255.192"
> >defaultrouter="208.241.154.66"
> >network_interfaces="fxp0 ed1 lo0"
> >ifconfig_ed1="inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.0.0"
> >firewall_enable="YES"
> >firewall_type="open"
> >gateway_enable="YES"
> >natd_enable="YES"
> >natd_interface="fxp0"
>
> Thanks, things are working now... my interfaces were 'ifconfigged' correctly,
> so I am going to assume it was the addition of
>
> firewall_type="open"
> natd_enable="YES"
> natd_interface="fxp0"
>
> to rc.conf that did it.  I noticed that now ipfw is configured to do
> something with loopback.  I say something as I don't know a firewall config
> from a hole in my head; which is to say that I'm learning...
>
> I don't know what the two natd_ additions do?

The two natd additions are the equivalent of the command natd -n fxp0,
which starts natd (the network address translation daemon) running and
tells it to use interface fxp0; that is, to send stuff to the outside
world on that interface and take what comes back on it and handle it
appropriately.  See man natd for further detail.

	Annelise