Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 20:20:04 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        schofiel@xs4all.nl
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: V2.1 Walnut Creek release Install probs

> I have a problem with the install of FreeBSD 2.1 from the Walnut Creek 2-CD
> installation set. During the install, although the install can be completed
> successfully, on re-boot of the system, the disk's partition tables have been
> corrupted.

[mega-snip]

> Reading the documentation did not really yield a clear
> explanation or cause, other than a hint that this may be a geometry-related
> problem (on a SCSI disk???)

Yes, this is almost certainly the problem. When sharing a SCSI disk
with DOS, the recommended method is to run the pfdisk.exe program,
which will display what DOS thinks the geometry is, and then use that
in the installation.

> It is my intention to have a go at writing a device driver for the
> Novell/Eagle 3200 32-bit EISA ethernet card, so I may even get an opportunity
> to feed something back in gratitude!

Great! That's what it's all about :-)

> - have there been any posted updates or patches to 2.1 since it's initial
> release?

A new release, 2.1.5, is expected within the next week or so. The
development version (FreeBSD-current) is available for FTP - in fact,
it's even possible to set up your own copy of the CVS tree! (Although
rather pointless unless you're actually working on the code).

> - do you have a standing bug list available anywhere?

Yes, it's posted to the freebsd-bugs mailing list every week.

> - are there any plans to improve EISA support? Anyone have anything in the
> works? How about the AHA274X series?

If I understand correctly, the 274X code has been merged into a
generic 27/28/29XX driver. I don't know of any EISA-specific work
being done.

> - is anyone working on a JAVA VM and compiler port for 2.1 + X?

Not as such. There are things like JDK and kaffe in the ports
collection.

Incidentally, I'd recommend having a look at the documentation on
http://www.freebsd.org. It should answer a lot of your questions
(including the ones you haven't thought of yet :-)

> Due to a rather weird mailing setup (I have to work off-site), can you
> address any replies to:
>
> schofiel@xs4all.nl
>
> - and it will be forwarded to me.

Done!