Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 02:50:16 -0400
From:      Jim Arnold <jim@ohio.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interesting uname output after kernel recompile

> No, but the only possible way for you to get that is if you updated
> your sources.
>
> Kris

There *must* be something else going on. I
simply commented out a few items in
the config file and did a make depend, make and
make install and rebooted.

Every night I do run
/usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/cvsupfile

where I pull in:
src-all
src-crypto
src-secure
*default tag=.
ports-all
doc-all

but i haven't done a "make world" or anything like
that to upgrade the system.

One reason i recompiled the kernel was because i was
afraid that i compiled it out of order the first time when
I went from Generic to SPIKE.
if you look on page 362 of the complete freebsd book (3rd edition)
you will notice they left out the make depend part. this was
noted in the eratta for the book.

this time when i recompiled, during the make depend stage,
the rebuild failed telling me i needed to add
"device miibus" to the config file. once I added this to SPIKE
it worked without a problem.

so for nothing weird is happening, it just makes me wonder...

jim