Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 00:04:12 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman), Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Who broke sort(1) ?

> From: wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
> Date: Tue 24 Sep, 2002
> Subject: Re: Who broke sort(1) ?

> I don't object to maintaining backwards compatibility for a few more
> releases (even if the application writers are the ones at fault),

Umm, their "fault" may simply have been that they wrote the code back when
it was correct and/or the only way...

The author may no longer even be around to maintain the product, even if
the product still exists.  That's what backwards compatibility is about.

I'm pretty sure Solaris will continue to support +POS in /usr/bin/sort
for years to come, even though it _is_ marked as (obsolete) in the manual
page.

Personally, I've never had reason to unwire it from my fingers.

I have less qualms about removing backward compatibility for behaviour
that was only ever accidental.

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses