Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:05:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XDMCP differences in XFree 336 nad XFree 401??? Please help ...

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Jean-Marc Zucconi wrote:
Dear Sir.

Just this moment I installe XFree 4.0.1_8 out of the ports collection, took
the sources and started compiling. I has been aked for several things and this time
I said NO to the following things:

XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1
SecureRPC
PAM

I thinkk there shouldn't be anything what probalbly stresses XDM or the way it
connects.

I compiled this for the machine where the chooser is running on, I installed the
new compiled XFree on the machine from which the diskless client is starting from,
so the XDM/CHOOSER offering host has the newest XFree and the client itself starts
connection with the same version. On both systems the previously mentioned options
were disabled.

But nothing changed! I get a chooser with a list of hosts. But I can not select
and connect to one of them. I can select them, then display gets dark as the chooser
offering host is forwarding the request and after that chooser appears again, it
seems to me like a reset or similar. The target host is not able to pick up a
connection to the diskless client's X server, but why?
When doing this task manually by starting the local diskless client's X server
with the -query option to any host which has been refused connection prior by chooser
I can obtain a login and working session! One host is named mail. This host offers
a chooser, version 4.0.1 and itself in the chooser. The client has X server running
with indirect query to this host mal for obtaining a chooser screen. Xaccess is acurately
set up and all other stuff seems to me clear (as its comes with the distribution and as
I changed some lines in xdm-config and looked at working machines). But ist
still has problems, but not with those choosers running on XFree 3.3.6!

where is the secret? Well, sorry to say this but I'm loosing hairs ... ;-)

Sometimes I think it could be a problem regarding to 'forwarding' the connection, but
what is involving forwarding XDMCP connections by a chooser? I run sshd, but not using
ssh as a setup for X sessions. I run inetd in tcpwrapper mode (-wW). I use IPFW filter
(but I switched it off to see whether it works, the answer is: no).

Do I have any chance to watch the connection process of chooser and target host?
Maybe in watching what's going on I can track down the problem ...

Thanks a lot ...

Oliver
:>>>>>> O Hartmann writes:
:>
:> > XFree86 401 is compiled with the ports defaults, XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1 scheme,
:> > secureRPC, PAM support. Does anyone know something about a bug or broken code?
:> > What is the difference between XDM 336 and XDM 401?
:> > Or is this only caused by myself, a stupid fool not knowing much about the tricks
:> > how X11 works?
:>
:>This could be a problem with PAM as the XFree86-4 port had no support
:>for PAM until a few minutes ago (there is now a fix in revision 8 of
:>the port) although the configure script asked if you wanted PAM.
:>
:>Jean-Marc
:>
:>--