Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:40:54 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why? (Was: Re: FreeBSD, the follower of Linux ?)

>The BSDs' market share is currently shrinking, and its mindshare (while
>I and others have worked to boost it) is not keeping pace with that of
>Linux. Again, it is being squeezed out of its ecological niche. "Patience"
>will only result in a continuation of this trend.

   You've said this repeatedly on many occasions, but I have yet to see from
you one tiny shred of evidence to back it up. On the contrary, all of my
numbers show that FreeBSD is growing rapidly - in fact, faster than Linux.
This is despite the fact that Linux is apparantly making inroads into the
desktop market. My numbers are real numbers based on product sales and
download stats. You may think the numbers can be dismissed as being inaccurate
for whatever reasons you may have, but WHERE are YOUR numbers?
   ...and why are you still trolling on the FreeBSD lists after switching some
months ago to OpenBSD? I mean really...why don't you go pester them about
their totally broken marketing efforts? They sure need it far more than we
do.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.