Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 14:15:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
To:        don@calis.blacksun.org, sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, rdabney@lasg.com
Subject:   Re: AXP pci/33 & memory question

> From: Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>
:::
> > > [ axppci33 is slow ]
:::
> > If you think a 233 is slow, you should try to the 100 Mhz 21064 :-)
> > (I have it running here with -CURRENT, but it's impressively slow.)
:::
> 233 slow? I have to wonder exactly what everyone here is trying to do with
> their alphas? I use my 3 alphas as primary nameserver, secondary name
> server and firewall. They are 21064 233's and they are extremely useable,
> quite fast and in general a nice machine to work with. If you want to
> greatly improve the speed of your alpha you really need to make sure it
> has enough memory. 96 megs is the minimum I would put (and is what I do
> have in mine) in for a useable system. Obviously more is always fun. These
> are not the latest and greatest machine that Compaq makes and for how old
> they are and how cheap mine were I think they are excellent machines.

You guys are comparing apples and oranges, and getting confused.

The axppci33 is a 21066, or `lca'. It's dog slow at any clock rate.

The 21064, or `ev4', although it has about the same execution core, and
although it came out _earlier_, is just plain way faster at the same clock
rate, apparently because of its greater memory or cache bandwidth.

Here is a simple benchmark I ran on several NetBSD/alpha systems:

	CPU     System          Time   Cycles/S   Cycles
	21264   264dp            2.8    500 MHz   1400 M
	21164   eb164            9.3    266 MHz   2474 M
	21064   pc64            13.9    274 MHz   3809 M
	21064   as200           17.4    233 MHz   4054 M
	21066   Multia          53.4    166 MHz   8864 M

A Multia is basically an axppci33 with lots of integrated peripherals and
snazzy packaging. It is basically the same speed, adjusting for clock rate,
but look out: _some_ axppci33's have no bcache, and the last thing a dog-slow
processor needs is to run without a cache level.

Anyway, note that the Multia requires 2.19x as many total cycles as my
as200, which _also_ has a narrow dram memory bus (so the memory bandwidth
folklore isn't completely correct) and 2.33x as many total cycles as my
pc64.

Also, for those who thought it was a reasonable test to race an old 164sx
board with a previous-generation CPU running one compiler against a recent
PII with a _different_ compiler, please note carefully the speed of a
comparable (i.e., recent) alpha.

	Ross Harvey
	ross@netbsd.org