Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 23:09:35 -0400
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   wt driver in 3.0-SNAP 970807 crashes system

I recently installed 3.0_SNAP 970807..

Tried to read some tapes made on my Wangtek drive under
2.1.6, which used to read OK. Can't read them at all.
They are tar gzipped archives and dump tapes. Tar tvzf /dev/rwt0
returns "not in gzipped format" and restore -if /dev/rwt0 returns
"Not dump tape".

At this point I tried to do a read-write test by tarring a small
group of files. tar cvzf /dev/rwt0 <files> returned "cannot write
to /dev/wt0". Cassette was not write-protected. tar cvf /dev/rwt0
<files>
ran to completion. When I tried to read it back, it returned "i/o error"
and promptly crashed the system. I tried this twice, crashed it
immediately both
times.

Nothing was logged in /var/log/messages.

Anyone else had a problem with the wt driver in 3.0-SNAP?

--
Jim Durham <Television Engineer-Unitel Mobile Video, Pittsburgh>
  <Computer Consultant/Hobbyist> <Amateur Radio: W2XO>