Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 21:34:09 -0800
From:      nobody <balharek@pacbell.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   need a few pointers

here is the setup:

internet--------------------freebsd========================linux
                               externaIP/internalIP
internalIP-1 and internalIP-2

i have no problem accessing the internet from freebsd, but no success from
linux.

i tested:
ping from internalIP(freebsd) to internalIP-1(linux)
ping from internalIP(freebsd) to internalIP-2(linux)
no response on freebsd;

ping from internalIP-1(linux) to internalIP(freebsd)
ping from internalIP-2(linux) to internalIP(freebsd)
ping response destination host unreachable on linux;

tcpdump reports echo request but no reply;

hub LEDs confirm layer 2 connectivity;

here are some config files off of my freebsd:

hosts
127.0.0.1                        localhost
externalIP(freebsd)          external.hostname
next hop router                central office router - internet
internalIP(freebsd)           freebsd.hostname
internalIP-1(linux)            linux.hostname
internalIP-2(linux)            linux.hostname

output of "netstat -r"
-
default                                    external.hostname           UGSc
ep2
localhost                                 localhost
UH                 lo0
external.hostname                   link#2                             UC
ep1=>
internalIP-1(linux)                   MAC Address               UHLW
ep1
portion of external.hostname    link#3                            UC
ep2=>
next hop router                        link#3
UHRLW        ep2

i think there is someting not right with the routing, but i don't see it.
can somebody point me in the right direction?

please reply directly to me, i don't think i am subscribed to the list.

thanx a bunch,

peter