Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 15:27:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hoek@hwcn.org, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> 	inner city schools are so dangerous for at least two reasons:
> 		the students that attend those schools
> 		the low level of funding per student
>
> 	many rural schools have only the funding problem, but
> 	are still "poor" schools due the way we have each school
> 	district self-fund through local property taxes rather than
> 	state-wide.

California school funds don't stay where they're raised; the state
moves the money around.  I thought this was the result of a Supreme
Court decision, but maybe it's just California.  So, there's equal
funding per student, roughly.

> 	vouchers pay people to segregate themselves from the rest of
> 	the community increasing the factionalism that we suffer from
> 	today.  for the ills that compulsory military service entails,
> 	one benefit is to create a common experience shared by a
> 	large number of the adult population.  an experience that can
> 	serve to unify the citizenry (provided its not abused, as it
> 	was during the vietnam war)

No, vouchers come much closer to equalizing the opportunity to select
a school; in Washington, D.C., almost no members of the Congress send
their kids to public school; neither does the president; and neither,
it seems, does jmb.  :)

> > I like the school voucher approach better than increasing the
> > personal exemption, because it provides choice at all income
> > levels.
>
> 	i dont understand.  the personal exemption is availabel to
> 	all income levels--equally--everyone subtracts "number of
> 	dependents" * "personal exemption" from their income".
>
> 	for the very poor, there is the earned income tax credit,
> 	or at least there was until recently.
>
> jmb

The personal exemption means there's some income on which you don't
have to pay taxes; but it doesn't give you the right to take funds
that would otherwise go to the public school to educate your kid and
go shopping with them (shopping only for education!).  School vouchers
are sort of like.....food stamps.  In fact that's why some proposals
call them "scholarships" instead of vouchers.

	Annelise