Date:      Mon, 31 May 2004 13:03:47 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Joan Picanyol i Puig <lists-gmane@biaix.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade and umask (was Re: scribus configure script failed unexpectedly)

Joan Picanyol i Puig wrote:
[ ... ]
> I have my umask set to 077, and so these files where chmod 600 :(
>
> It's not the first time I get bitten by this, what's the rationale for
> ports not using a sane umask by default?

Which "sane umask" should we pick?  022, 027, 002?  :-)

[ My implication is that setting any default is likely to be considered the
wrong default by many people, especially where the user himself has a non-sane
umask to begin with. ]

Besides, many ports end up using the install command to manually set
permissions (obviously for anything which is setuid/setgid) anyway, so the
issue is not any less complicated than it may appear at first glance.

--
-Chuck