Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 22:59:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Glen W Mann <gmann@itw.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New Pentium - sio0 (and mouse) not found

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Glen W Mann wrote:
>
> > I bought a new Pentium because my 486 died.  Awwwwww.  :(
> >
> > FreeBSD cannot find sio0 where (I guess) the mouse should be (dmesg
> > below), and thus X cannot find a mouse.  I also tried the psm0 and mse0
> > devices with no success.  NT 4.0 uses the mouse fine (it calls it a
> > Logitech Serial Mouse)  but getting information from NT (like WHERE IS
> > IT?) is impossible.  COM2 shows up in the NT control panel but COM1 does
> > not, so FreeBSD and NT agree the port is gone.
>
> Make sure com1 is enabled in the BIOS.
>
> The mouse isn't PS/2?  I had to look pretty hard to find a MB that didn't
> use PS/2 mouse/keyboard connectors when I bought my ASUS T2P4 a while
> back.  I still got a PS/2 mouse connector on a faceplate with a header to
> plug it into.

Summore:  The mouse is on COM1.  If I remove my modem, which is on COM2,
Freebsd finds both ports and the mouse works.  The modem is somehow
preventing COM1 from being accessed.  I'm lost.  What could cause this?
With the PC I got a plug and play modem.  Freebsd doesn't seem to find
this, though I haven't really looked into it.  Is pnp supported?  BTW the
motherboard does have a PS/2 port but its not connected.

Thanks
-Glen Mann, who likes "a kinder, simpler PC"