Date:      11 Oct 1999 14:53:43 -0700
From:      cgd@netbsd.org (Chris G. Demetriou)
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DEC3000/400 SRM bootp overview

Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl> writes:
> I just noticed that SRM 6.0 had a timeout problem when booting
> from my Aspen Alpine (EB64+) whereas the same SRM 6.0 worked OK
> booting from my K6-2 box. This leads me to the suspicion that there
> is something *very* timing critical (or something close to that) on
> the later SRM revs.

the symptom that i noticed when looking into it was that using tcpdump
to watch the packets that were coming out of the alpha would show
packets with bad checksums.  (I forget whether they were the bootp or
tftp requests, or whether the bad checksums were the IP or UDP
checksums...  It's been a few years... 8-)

> Chris, as I understand it you had NetBSD booting using bootp from SRM.
> Or did you use MOP maybe? IIRC NetBSD can do MOP boot serving.

bootp.

cgd