Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 1996 14:56:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jim Isom <jisom@crl.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org (questions)
Subject:   lpd and network printer

My lpd seems to be having problems. This is one, euphemistic, way
of putting it.

I have an HP4MV printer on a lan with FreeBSD 2.1R running on
a server box.

Trying to print files doesn't work. I can ping to the
printer (it's a network printer, with its own ethernet
port).

When I execute lpq, I get, for example, :

Warning: unable to get official name for remote machine laserjet1
Warning: no daemon present
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    root       48   tmpo                                  238 bytes

My printcap is:

#	@(#)printcap	5.3 (Berkeley) 6/30/90

#lp|local line printer:\
#	:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
lp|lj1_text|text1:\
	:lp=:\
	:rm=laserjet1:\
	:rp=text1:\
	:lf=/var/spool/lpd/lj1_text.log:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lj1_text:

ps -aux | grep lpd gives me:

root  345  0.0  0.9   200  276  ??  Is    2:23PM    0:00.02 /usr/sbin/lpd

Here, I have started lpd by hand. When the machine boots, lpd
is nowhere in sight as a running process.

Can anyone help me here? Any other information I should supply?

Thanks in advance!

--
Jim Isom  jisom@crl.com