Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 00:27:07 -0500
From:      David Cuthbert <dacut@kanga.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's momentum and future prospects

Peter Kieser wrote:
> On another note, the only reason Linux is getting commerical interest is
> because people don't know about FreeBSD, they also don't know about the
> goods of the BSD license, if corporations were made aware of how the BSD
> license can be used, I gaurntee you we would have more people jumping on the
> band wagon for FreeBSD development and such. I just don't think BSD in
> general gets enough publicity.

Yes, as a commercial developer, Linux is beginning to frighten me with
their sudden declaration that binary-only device drivers are illegal.
The rationale used (by Linus, at least) makes me wonder if they will try
to apply it to anything that links with their headers.

Unfortunately, Linux is the "hot" item at the moment in the industry
(EDA, electronic design automation).

> Also, on another note. There is really no BSD "desktop" distro, where
> everything is configured automatically for you, this would help for newbie
> users to pick FreeBSD over Linux.

As maligned as it is, RedHat's graphical configuration is rather easy to
use; I found it much easier to configure a RAID desktop there than using
Vinum (which sysinstall doesn't grok).

The one thing I have yet to see anywhere is a system that does a good
job with package dependencies.  For instance, I usually want to install
"everything that doesn't depend on Qt or KDE".  Most package managers
are good at making sure that the dependencies get installed; none (that
I know of, at least) will warn you that a package you don't want is
about to be installed.