Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 02:06:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
To:        Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Syslog and sendmail

Hello,

Yes, if you want sendmail turned off, you need only add one entry to
/etc/rc.conf, and that is:

sendmail_enable="NO"

Once you have placed that entry into /etc/rc.conf, run the command `ps
auxw | grep sendmail` and if it is running, look at the PID and then run
`kill -9 (sendmail PID)`

Now you know that sendmail is not running, because `ps auxw | grep
sendmail` will not show any sendmail processes running.  By killing the
running sendmail (if there is indeed one running) you remove the need to
reboot to have that new value in /etc/rc.conf apply.

On future reboots, sendmail will not start.  However, you should continue
to get your `periodic` emails.

-----
John Kozubik - john@kozubik - http://www.kozubik.com