Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 04:41:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Let me give you a good example of this in action: We could, right this
> very minute, send off about 10 notices to various publications for
> printing in their "New Product Section" - many hi-tech mags have them
> and getting something into this section is FREE - and get some instant
> positive PR for 2.2.6.  Not only has this not been done for 2.2.6,
> there has _never been_ a FreeBSD release product announcement in one
> of these magazines for the very simple reason that nobody has ever
> written the requisite "punchy ad copy" and sent it in.  It wouldn't
> cost us a cent to do it but because we don't have somebody capable of
> just spinning out that kind of copy while sitting on the toilet (and I
> know such people - all very highly paid and very busy elsewhere), it
> has never happened.
FREEBSD - THE POWER TO SERVE
FreeBSD: developed for years in secret in California, painstakingly
started from 4.4BSD-Lite, is now revealed to the world. FreeBSD
2.2.6-RELEASE, with the power to run the largest web or FTP server, the
flexibility to be easily customized to ANY task, and the simplicity to be
used sucessfullly by anyone, is now available on CD-ROM from Walnut Creek
CDROM (http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/freebsd.htm), or by FTP from
ftp.freebsd.org.  2.2.6-RELEASE offers many features implemented over a
rock solid base, stabler and more powerful even than many commercial
operating systems. You can keep up with new features as they are developed
and implemented by Concurrent Version System, a revolutionary way to keep
up with the lastest changes, through the 2.2.6-STABLE development branch.
You can even advance to the absolute bleeding edge, with the absolute
latest changes, advances, and features by following the 3.0-CURRENT
development tree.  And yet, even with this power and flexibility, FreeBSD
is offered absolutely free of charge(insert discreet caevet about
shipping and media charges here) to anyone anywhere in the world, and
comes with full source.  You can even contribute your own improvements
back into the system!  Call Walnut Creek CDROM at (800)786-9907 today to
reserve your hot-off-the-press copy of FreeBSD 2.2.6 for the power to
serve tomorrow, today!

OK, maybe I need sleep, but that's off the top of my head.  A few hours,
and an idea of space/format limitations, I could probably come up with
something better.

> That needs to change, but I'm not sure how to go about it.  I'm not an
> advertising guru nor do I know of any working on an hourly basis since
> I don't mix with that crowd very much, but I'd dearly like to change
> that.  To put it another way, if we could locate the person who's the
> brains behind this advert:
>
> 	http://time.cdrom.com/~jkh/happy.jpg
>
> and could somehow subvert them to the cause of FreeBSD, we'd take over
> the world in less than 12 months even if we didn't add a single extra
> feature to FreeBSD.  :-)
>
> 					Jordan

# cat /etc/namedb/db.freebsd.org | tail -n 2
$ORIGIN freebsd.org.
www		IN	CNAME	www.playboy.com.
#

|       FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be       |
* "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is *
| that I haven't figured out how to light the middle yet."|
*    fullermd@futuresouth.com      :-}  MAtthew Fuller    *
|      http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd          |