Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 14:39:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@voicenet.com>
To:        Stephen Cooper <stephen.cooper@alphawest.com.au>
Cc:        "Freebsd-Questions \(E-mail\)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to "disklabel" a SCSI disk with no disktab entry

I like using the /stand/sysinstall program for partitioning.  Run it as
root, choose "Custom", then "Partition".  If you have an already existing
partition table on the drive that you don't need, it may be good to write
over it (before running /stand/sysinstall) with something like "dd
count=500 if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd0".  Obviously, you would substitute the
proper device file for your particular situation.  After you partition,
you would put a disklabel in the slice(s) you were using with FreeBSD.  I
come from the PC world, so the word partition to me means something other
than what the FreeBSD people say it means.  I hope this helps.