Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:52:11 -0800
From:      "SteveB" <admin@bsdfan.cncdsl.com>
To:        "Drew Eckhardt" <drew@PoohSticks.ORG>, <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD vs Linux, Solaris, and NT

Trouble is there is no consistency in the rulings.  Hardware decisions
in general are mirrors of software cases.  Hardware reverse
engineering tends to be legal. But with software they use Clean
programmer, Dirty programmer. In other words you can write a program
exactly like another, if you can prove you never saw the other
program. If you saw the similar program you are dirty.  The weird
thing is your Marketing people can see the other program and tell you
what to do. That's legal.

Steve B.