Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 19:50:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brian@awfulhak.org (Brian Somers)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, grog@lemis.com, doconnor@Ist.flinders.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Divert sockets..

> > Or maybe he's like me, and he can't get the thing to idle disconnect
> > because of the !@#$! keep-alives that are near-impossible to turn
> > off if you have a local net as well.
>
> Hmm.  I have a local net of 8 machines, and I don't have any such
> problems.  Of course you know about "set afilter".

Sure.  I just don't know what packets are triggering it.  There's
almost nothing running at all (literally; no routed, named, whatever).

And there's the annoying localhost DNS lookup, even though host.conf
has "hosts" first, and the name of the machine I'm rlogin'ing into
is in /etc/hosts (it's myself).  It triggers the PPP dial anyway,
and I think that should only happen for non-local hosts.

> The thing I don't understand is how re-writing anything is going to
> solve a problem where people want the link to shutdown subliminally :-)

Change the ground rules on the shutdown, for one... different issues
for SLIP/ISDN, for another.

> > But there is no general
> > event interface, even though it's becoming more and more of a kludge
> > to not have one (e.g.: say I want to register for a directory change
> > event because I'm a file browser, and I want to see files show up
> > immediately, not after 10's of seconds when my poll-the-directory
> > timer fires off).
>
> You've been working w/ Windoze too long !!!  You're becoming a
> heretic !
>
> Perhaps that idea warrants some sort of ability to do a select() on a
> seekable file.  If you've got the O_APPEND flag, select will return
> when there's more data at the end (tail(1) would be almost perfect).
> When you haven't got O_APPEND, maybe a file update would wake up the
> select().
>
> Of course the implementation is trivial ;-I (not)

It's moderately trivial.  FS's can be defined in terms of event
dependency relationships, actually (in fact, they need to be for
Soft Updates to be generalizable or to work under stacking), so it's
a bit trivial to externalize those events.  Directory modification
is one such event that "just falls out".

I was thinking more in terms of SIGIO and "poll()" as an implementation
detail, anyway.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---