Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 11:46:42 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SDT-7000 and other DDS-2 tapes

>Only attempt this if the tape is being read. Even then, it's
>iffy. It depends really on whether, during reset conditions, you
>can really believe the tape in the drive is the same one you
>had.

As CAM gives you an async notification when a bus reset occurs,
you do know that the upcoming UA is for a bus reset, not a power
on or media change event.

>My take is that this is not something that the driver
>layer should do. This is something that a higher level should
>ascertain, since only it has knowledge of the information
>encoding.

I don't understand why the encoding is relevant.  The tape peripheral,
at least in CAM, can guarantee transaction ordering to the device even
across an error condition.  Regardless of the information encoding if
the sequence of filemarks and blocks laid out on the tape match that
of the requesting program (or in the case of reads, the returned data
exactly matches what was written on the tape), there can be no confusion.

>I would strenuosly argue that it'd better to figure
>out a much more robust error return mechanism (something a la
>
>	r/w	->	EIO (error state latches)
>
>		  -> MTIOCGETERR, releases latch returns
>				error associated with EIO
>		  |  -> rw, error message to console, releases latch

I believe that SGI has something like this that allows you to pull the
last position, EOF, EOT, EOM flags, etc.  I don't recall what they
call it though.

--
Justin