Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 13:23:29 -0800
From:      Aditya <aditya@grot.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: serial console vs. serial terminal

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 12:14:14PM -0800, Doug White wrote:
> > however, if I connect to them from a Cyclades T2000 terminal server using a
> > cat5 patch cable and a RJ45-DB9F modular adapter I can't type anything in but
> > I do see output (ie. from syslog). The most bizzare thing is if I reboot with:
>
> That sounds like the getty isn't coming up. It isn't complaining about
> cycling endlessly, is it?

it isn't complaining and getty is definitely coming up as I can take a stock
db9-db9 null modem and interact fine...

> Also make sure you're using the right pinout on your cable; the Cyclades
> pins aren't the same as Cisco's.  We usually custom-build them.

This is probably part of the "problem" -- using a patch cable I'm using the
following pinouts (essentially DCE), do you have a better set?:

   Pin # Signal Color
   2     TxD    Black
-  3     RxD    Yellow
   5     Gnd    Red

> It seems that your serial port(s) are locking up; the console output
> "wakes them up."  Can you try connecting to the port with cu (in internal
> console, not serial) on the FreeBSD machine, ssh in to the TS2000 on the
> other, and talk between yourselves?

yup, did that and when I type on either side I don't get a "local" echo but
see the output on the "remote" side...

> AFAIK FreeBSD doesn't require carrier to be asserted for getty to wake up.
> If you hit <ENTER> a few times on the tty it should give you a login
> prompt.

It's not taking input, but if I set syslogd to send *.err to * and then use
logger to syslog something, then it shows up...

Thanks,
Adi