Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 14:02:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        "Foster, Jim" <JFOSTER@CSKAUTO.COM>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Getting to Stable and boot floppies

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Foster, Jim wrote:

> Ahhhh.  I think I am beginning to see the light.
>
> If I understand what you are saying, I don't need the zipped kernel on the
> floppy, just the boot loader. (I would guess, perhaps incorrectly, that the
> loader doesn't change to often and I could continue to use my current boot
> floppy if need be.)

In 3.0 they are a bit in flux, but only for functionality, not
compatibility, in 2.2 they seem to be going unchanged for quite
some time, just be sure to watch out for "HEADS UP" messages on
the lists if you can, or watch your cvsup logs for changes to the
boot blocks.

Can I ask why it is nessesary for you to boot off floppy?  Can't
you use OS-BS (in the tools directory on ftp.freebsd.org) it's a
multiboot program you can use to switch between other OS's and
freebsd (if this is what you are doing)

If not you can try to change your active paritions via fdisk, or
just slip a boot.conf into your / on your installed machine.

> And since I already am booting off of a floppy, I do know what goes into
> boot.conf for my system.

Great, enjoy.

-Alfred