Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 21:04:31 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Tord Johnson <T_Johnson@ProgrammingConcepts.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD SCSI-2 Host Adapter Supported?

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Tord Johnson wrote:

> I have been trying to install FreeBSD 3.2 for the last couple of weeks
> on a Compaq Deskpro XL 5100 (Pentium 100), but userconfig never seems to
> find my AMD SCSI-2 host adapter which is device 12 on my PCI bus (0)--it
> does find device 11 (lnc1, an AMD PC-Net ethernet adapter) and device 13
> (vga0), but
> skips right past device 12.
>
> I've tried to find out if this is supported or not, but not with much luck.
> Has anybody been successful with this?

I'm sure if you searched the hardware/scsi/questions mailing list archives
you would find lots of references to this not being supported under CAM
(the new SCSI subsystem that came in with 3.0).  Despite the notes on the
3.2 CD-ROM set, I don't think that it is supported under 3.2, as I've just
had a look around the kernel source tree of my recently installed 3.2
system, and while there appears to be a Tekram DC-390 (uses 53c974
apparently) driver - scsiiom.c in scsi/ - it appears to be for <3.0
kernels... :-(

I have a vague recollection of Jordan mentioning that there should be a
somewhat rough but mostly functional driver in 3.3.  Apart from trying to
confirm this via searching the above mentioned mailing lists, you should
try just downloading the 3.3 kernel and mfsroot floppy images and seeing
whether it is recognised.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia