Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:27:51 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About free bsd

On 1/18/00, 4:38:42 PM, Jonathon McKitrick=20
<jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
wrote regarding Re: About free bsd :

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, David Kelly wrote:

> >CDROM's, shirts, jackets, stickers, stuffed daemon plushies, etc.,
which
> >pay for hosting FreeBSD on the 'net, for much of the development
> >hardware, and for some of the salaries of those who work full time on=

> >FreeBSD.

> So walnut creek actually *pays* some of the programming staff?

> -=3D> jm <=3D-

> "Doors to the pleasures of heaven or hell, and i didn't care
> which...."

Dear Jonathon McKitrick,

just to play the Daemon's advocate:

Have you ever calculated the cost of *everything* that you can do with
FreeBSD (e.g. in terms of other commercial Unices or M$uxware) ?

You might begin by listing StarOffice ($0) or Applixware (~ $100) on
the left, and M$Office on the right.

And do NOT forget the *server* side of the comparison ...

When you are finished with your arithmetic, please let me know.

Best regards,
Salvo