Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 97 13:02:29 +0100
From:      garyj@frt.dec.com
To:        Hal Lynch <hal@sticky.usu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: I need MORE than 120 ptys........please help]

jkh@freebsd.org writes:
> Anyone have an answer for this poor guy?  I've never tried to configure
> this many PTYs myself. :-)

[lots of stuff deleted]
> From: Hal Lynch <hal@sticky.usu.edu>
> Here is the problem:
> 	At something over 120 ptys in use users start getting a message
> 	saying there are no more ptys available.  I have not seen this
> 	message personally because the number of ptys in use at any one
> 	time varies widely.  By the time an event is reported to me the
> 	situation has changed.  Ie: it comes and goes.

[even more stuff deleted]

I'll bet that you're getting 128 ptys w/o problems.

I just ran a test under 2.1.5GAMMA with 192 ptys. I was able to open
the 192nd pty (/dev/ptyQv) w/o problems.

Is your application taking into account that the pty names change with
the 128th pty ? Look at /dev/MAKEDEV. Note this comment:
# Note that xterm (at least) only look at p-s.
        4) offset=128 name=P;;
        5) offset=160 name=Q;;
        6) offset=192 name=R;;
        7) offset=224 name=S;;

Are you trying to open P, Q, etc ? Or something else ?

---
Gary Jennejohn				(work) gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
					(home) Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de
					(play) gj@freebsd.org