Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:20:32 -0700
From:      Karl Agee <kdagee@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Subject:   printing problems 4.7-stable

I cannot print in 4.7-stable...I do not think the problem is the driver b=
ut=20
with how the kernel deals the parallel port.  Which is odd, since it=20
recognizes and configures it properly. =20

Why I say this, is because I cannot even send=20

# lptest > /dev/lpt0

to the printer, as nothing happens. =20

The printer is a winprinter boat anchor, which works well in linux using =
the=20
same drivers (and on the same box).  It is a HP820Cse using the pnm2ppa=20
filter package setup via apsfilter. =20

When I attempt to print I get an error message back=20

 pnm2ppa[405]: parm_iversion():  Unknown Printer version

I've written the authors of the package and they made sure I had the righ=
t=20
printer selected which I do.....

I've re-set the parallel port mode in the bios to=20
spp...epp...ecp+epp....nothing works so far. =20

Here's what dmesg says about it....

ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE/ECP
Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
ppbus0: <HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 820C> SCP,VLINK
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0

There has been some traffic on the past on this, but no resolution...

I'm sure it will_work just dont know what is going on at this point. =20

--karl