Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 17:57:55 +0100 (CET)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Dmitry Karasik <dk@plab.ku.dk>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   One group for each user (Re: NGROUPS_MAX in sys/syslimits.h)

Hi Dmitry,

On 5 Dec 2000, Dmitry Karasik wrote:

> On 05 Dec 00 at 10:00, "Paul" (Paul Herman) wrote:
>
>  [...discussion about using one group for each user to your
>      advantage...]
>
>  Paul> Makes sense in a backwards sort of way, but if a sysadmin can't
>  Paul> teach users how to use chmod, then he probably deserves the
>  Paul> punishment of dealing with more than 16 groups.  That is definately
>  Paul> chmod's calling.
>
>  What a masterpiece of an irony! What if a good half of users never use
>  anything but windoze?

You still teach them about chmod.  Even for windows users, it's
possible.  :-)

In one firm, I gave the web developers a quick 30 sec. lesson on
"users, groups, and others" and how easy it is for them to use their
WS_FTP to change the permissions on files after uploading.  (Because
of the default umask, it was hardly necessary.)

They were surpisingly responsive to this "new" concept.  You may call
me lucky, but it's surprising what you can teach when you tactfuly get
the dept. on your side.

-Paul.