Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 2003 13:36:28 +0200
From:      Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@nomadiclab.com>
To:        Paul Schenkeveld <fb-net@psconsult.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPsec / ipfw interaction in 4.7-STABLE: a proposed change

Paul Schenkeveld wrote:
> Because of the way IPsec and ipfw/ipfilter interact, I've
> moved to the following workaround:
> Now I use transport mode instead of tunnel mode between the two
> external IP addresses:
> Although this is not the solution to your problem, it shows a
> behaviour close to what you want I think.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid that it won't work
for me.  Namely, my ISP has a NAT box between my home server
and the rest of the internet.  Fortunately I do have a permanent
one-to-one mapping at the NAT box so that I can run ESP over it,
and with manually set up tunnel ESP it works.  Not nice, but it
works.  I'm afraid transport mode wouldn't work, but maybe
I should try it.

> I'd love to see ipsec evolve in a way that I don't need gif tunnels
> anymore so I like the enc0 interface concept but then I'd suggest
> that IPsec automagically create route entries from the spadd lines
> such that also outbound traffic passes enc0.

I think that generating routing table entries from SPD is
probably a better idea than my original idea of doing
it the other way around.  I think that it would be even possible
to do that in the user land, having some process listening to
a PFKEY socket and adding and deleting routes as it sees
tunnel mode SPD entries coming and going.

--Pekka Nikander