Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:53:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Amatus <c11h15no2@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: startx = reboot

i think i have a similar problem, when i installed X11 4.1.0 it kept
rebooting my laptop when run unless i used the vga driver in 320x200x2
mode. the last few lines of output before rebooting are:

(==) ATI(0): Chipset: "ati".
(**) ATI(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libint10.a
(II) Module int10: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
(==) ATI(0): While-combining range (0xa0000, 0x20000) was already clear

i have a sony vaio PCG-FX210 allegedly with an ATI Rage Mobility
graphics card

--- Matthias Bartels <mbartels@genie.de> wrote:
> Servus,
>
> i have a serious problem with my XServer, i posted it some days ago,
> but it very strange so nobody could help me.
>
> Trying to start the Xserver using startx results in a system reboot!
>
> this is my hardware configuration:
>
> ASUS A7A266
> Athlon 1400
> NVidia GeForce2 MX-200 32MB
> 512MB DDR RAM
>
> the components seem to work (i also run windoofs),
>
> and i tried several versions of XFree (package installation and from
> source, 4.0.3, 4.1.0) and also FreeBSD 4.3 and 4.4
>
> Nothing works!
>
> Is it possible that the graphic card with this chipset is not
> supported? A friend of mine is using the same card with MX 400
> chipset, he has no problems!
>
> I am despairing...
>
> I have attached my XF86Config File and the last log message before
> the
> crash!
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Matthias

=====
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use of the information contained within this email or attachments is strictly prohibited.